Sunday, August 15, 2010

Gift season is underway











I have decided to try and make most of my holiday gifts again this year, after taking a break from handmade gifting last year. I'm getting a bit of a late start considering how big my family is, but I plan to do some sewing as well as knitting, and I'm hoping the quick sewing projects will balance the more time-consuming knitting. But I've still tried to choose small projects, and after a week or so of working on these two I feel pretty confident I can pull it off.

On the left is the Reversible Cable Scarf from Lion Brand. The yarn looks horrible in the picture but is actually quite nice and very woolly. I've been using a method of knitting cables without a cable needle that I found on Knitty.com, and it's really helped speed up the knitting. This is the project I've been carrying around with me so I can knit on the subway or at lunch or whenever else I have a few spare minutes.

On the right is the Deirdre Shawl by Linden Down, which I found on Ravelry. The yarn is so pretty - merino, silk, and cashmere, and I love the color. It's a really simple pattern so I wanted the yarn to be very special, and I spent a bit more on it than I might normally.

However, all the yarn for the other projects I've got planned was already in my stash! Even after selling off about 60% of the yarn I owned (to make space for moving into a studio apartment), I still have plenty left to feed many projects for the foreseeable future.

No comments: