Monday, April 16, 2007

Two little tops

There are two toddler girl birthdays coming up in the family so I took the opportunity to make my very first little kid garments. The yarn for both is super-soft Blue Sky Cotton - it would be a luxury yarn for me if I were making an adult-sized project, but since these tops use so little yarn, together they cost less than a kid's outfit from Old Navy!

This green wrap sweater is my first crochet project in a long time - years, even. It was so much fun to make, so fast and a nice change of pace. I love this color! The pattern is a free one from the Lion Brand website; the only modification I made was to use the ribbon ties instead of an inner snap and crochet chain tie for the closure. It took exactly 2 skeins (100 grams/150 yds).



This purple top is the Ballet T-shirt from Teva Durham's Loop-d-Loop, the second project I've made from that book. There's an adult version of this top that I want to make for myself. The kid's version was so easy to make that it only took one afternoon & evening to finish, AND it only used a single 100 gram/150 yard skein! Actually, there was some yarn left over when I finished the pattern, so I just kept going to make it more of a tunic, and I added a single-crochet border around the neck to use up the whole skein. I think this will become a go-to pattern for gifts in the future.

1 comment:

Rita Chenowith said...

These are so cute! I'm so jealous of your knitting time...in one month I will be posting more, I promise!