Wednesday, October 17, 2007

It's done!

I finally finished the Stag Bag! Overall, I'm happy with it. I found a great lightweight cotton canvas to line it with - the dots match the dark yarn perfectly! I made it a tote rather than a shoulder bag, although the handles are big enough to fit over my shoulder, but not too long so the bag hits the ground when carried as a tote.

So, how did I line it? Well, since my sewing skills have deteriorated significantly since 7th grade Home Ec, I just winged it, taking some guidance from Grumperina's post on how she lined her knitted tote (check out the awesome ribbon handle tabs!). I made an inside-out bag just smaller than the Stag Bag (18 x 17 inches!) and sewed a couple of pockets onto it, then slid strips of plastic canvas into the top to give it more strength. I lined the handles with strips of fabric and hand-sewed it all together.





With the dense knitted fabric, the canvas lining, and the plastic reinforcements, it's a really sturdy bag and I hope it gets a lot of use this winter. This project was a real challenge for me, and totally worth it. AND! I have a whole extra skein of the beige Lamb's Pride left over! I can't decide whether to make a hat or mitts...




And here's the finished Eyelet Yoke Sweater from Lion Brand; the dye lot change isn't even noticeable!

1 comment:

Rita Chenowith said...

Thank you for the liner tutorial! This is so great. And that baby sweater is adorable. I love the little white specks are great!