Monday, May 19, 2008

A baby shower gift

Back in March, I co-hosted a baby shower. The invitations asked all guests to knit up a square that would eventually be sewn together by yours truly. I finally finished it a couple of weeks ago. I'm now finally getting around to sharing it.

Some slight oversights (no specified yarn type or square size) created quite the hodgepodge of knitted squares. I had the job of making all the squares the same size, by adding an off-white border around the squares. I then had the joy of sewing cast-off edges together. I think my least favorite knitting chores are picking up stitches and sewing seams, but I got it all together.
I didn't want the back exposed so I thought I'd sew a flannel back on the blanket. It worked out, for the most part. I blocked the squares and then I blocked the whole blanket; it was still slightly wonky, but I got it to work.
In the end, this was a rather fun project. I haven't really worked with yarn and fabric before. It was slightly tricky to use my sewing machine with yarn. This was great practice. And what it lacks in beauty, I'm sure it'll make up for in memories.

2 comments:

Little Lugs said...

So cute - what a great idea! I love how it turned out.

Laura said...

Why didn't you tell me you were working on it?! I love it! It really looks great. I wish I could keep it.