Monday, January 29, 2007

Rita's Rules of Knitting: Lesson 1

This is the inaugural posting of Rita's Rules of Knitting. In this posting, I will discuss the most important lesson a knitter should heed when beginning a project:

Always buy the amount of yarn called for in a pattern, plus 1 more skein!!! I cannot stress this enough.

Let's look at Exhibit A:


















I have about 30 more rounds on my last sleeve, but no more yarn. And I bought this yarn back in September, so I doubt I'll find the same dye lot if I go back to Lakeside Fibers.
On the bright side, while I was discovering this fatal error, I was watching a very good version of Jane Eyre on PBS, and my cat seems to like to sit on the sweater as it weeps unfinished on my kitchen floor. Maybe it can be a kitty rug....

3 comments:

Little Lugs said...

The sweater looks great! Did you end up doing mock rib for the cuffs & bottom edge?
And I'll be first in line when the Yarn-O-Matic goes on the market!

Little Lugs said...

p.s. - I *love* how lil E matches the gray yarn so perfectly!

Rita Chenowith said...

I did use the mock rib for the cuffs and bottom. I don't know if I remembered the directions from the magazine correctly, but I just did this:
RS--K1, P1
WS--P
I am waiting for double-punch Tuesday (and warmer weather) to buy more yarn...I'll post the final hideous product when I'm done.