Thursday, March 08, 2007

Rita's Rules of Knitting: Lesson 2

If you're going to modify a pattern or stop knitting in the middle of a pattern, even if it's only overnight, write down everything!

When beginning a project record needle size, gauge, color, dye lot of yarn and any modifications you're planning on making. If you stop knitting, make a note of where you left off. You never know when you'll pick the project up again.


Let's look at Exhibit B:

One of these sleeves is not like the other one, and it's not just the dye lot (which isn't the same, but I can't tell the difference!) I thought I counted rows correctly, but the second sleeve came out about an inch shorter than the first one and it was wider so I didn't decrease as much as the first one either. So I agonized overnight about tearing it out or not, but I ultimately decided I should because I want it to be as nice as possible. The sweater already looks nerdy enough as it is (and yet, it looks like something Rita would wear!) So here is the final outcome:


I promise to model it as soon as I have someone to take my picture. I haven't blocked it yet--but I can't wait because then it might not be so lumpy and uneven (at least that's what I'm telling myself!)

2 comments:

Little Lugs said...

Yay Rita! It looks great - not nerdy at all, or at least, I like nerdy, so I like the sweater...you know? Your advice is so true, too! I have a bad tendency to make changes to patterns as I go along, and it has caused me a lot of grief. So yesterday when I was killing time at the bookstore, I picked up the Stitch 'n Bitch knitting journal, vowing I would be more careful about my knitting (it *was* my New Year's resolution) - and now Rita's wise words have confirmed that I'm on the right path.

Laura said...

Great Job! Much better than the pick sweater that never was...Where are the multiple buttons?