Friday, March 14, 2008

Inspiration!

I was hit with the design bug the other day. I just happened to be online window shopping at this store called Forever 21. I found 60% of the tops to be completely great (if not reeking of "Hi, I'm made in a sweatshop overseas"), but quickly realized that the name of the store, while sounding like it would be for anyone over 21 wishing to remain young and hip, is really one of those Seventeen magazine deals, where it's really appealing to 15 year olds wanting to look 21.

I forged on though because the tops were so cute.

Like this one:




And these...the yellow is so great. I think the one on the left is linen. If it had a wide collar-band, I'd really love it. I started sketching out pattern pieces instantly.





Then, I saw this shirt:...and fell in love! I knew it was well out of my design skills, but the nearest store is 3 hours away. Can I really drive there? Buying these clothes from the online store is just asking for a return hassle. But trying to make them could be even more soul crushing.

In any event, I think the whole point of this post is to show this video:

A Shirt Story

Because, this is what I'm afraid my sewing skills will result in! (Sorry, I wanted to embed the video but it was a no go)

1 comment:

Little Lugs said...

I always loved that episode of the Cosby show! That green shirt really is adorable, and so *you*. I have been to Forever 21 a few times and never come away with anything, mostly because the stores in NY are so picked over and I get aneurysms from the music they play in there. It's always so tempting though because it's cheap, and although it's trend-heavy, there are some gems to be found - my main advice would be to stay away from knits, they tend to be pretty flimsy, but tops made of woven fabrics, are a better bet. If I weren't on a shopping diet I'd try online ordering! If they're anything like Delia's (and I'm betting they are) they're closer to a junior's-type sizing than a woman's, so I'd order a size or two up, as I have had to so when ordering from Delia's (a bit embarrassing to admit, but yes, I've shopped there. I was still in my twenties then!)